JoAnn E. Manson, MD, MPH, DrPH
Chief, Division of Preventive Medicine
Professor of Medicine, Michael and Lee Bell Professor of Women’s Health,
Harvard Medical School
Physician, Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Professor, Department of Epidemiology, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Dr. Manson is an endocrinologist, epidemiologist, and Principal Investigator of several research studies, including the Women’s Health Initiative Clinical Center In Boston (PI since study inception in 1993); the cardiovascular component of the Nurses’ Health Study (PI for 20 years); the VITamin D and OmegA-3 TriaL (VITAL; PI with Dr. J. Buring since study inception in 2009); the COcoa Supplement and Multivitamin Outcomes Study (COSMOS, PI with Dr. H. Sesso since 2014); and others. Her primary research interests include randomized clinical prevention trials of nutritional and lifestyle factors related to heart disease, diabetes, and cancer and the role of endogenous and exogenous estrogens as determinants of chronic disease. Dr. Manson has received numerous honors, including the American Heart Association’s (AHA) Population Research Prize, the AHA’s Distinguished Scientist Award, AHA invited lectureships (Ancel Keys and Distinguished Scientist lectures), election to the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies (National Academy of Medicine), membership in the Association of American Physicians (AAP), fellowship in AAAS, the Woman in Science Award from the American Medical Women’s Association, the Bernadine Healy Award for Visionary Leadership in Women’s Health, and the Massachusetts Medical Society awards in both Public Health and Women’s Health Research. She served as the 2011-2012 President of the North American Menopause Society. Dr. Manson has published more than 1,200 articles and is the author or editor of several books and textbooks. She was also one of the physicians featured in the National Library of Medicine’s exhibition, History of American Women Physicians.
AB: Harvard University
MD: Case Western Reserve School of Medicine
MPH: Harvard School of Public Health
DrPH: Harvard School of Public Health
- Manson JE, Cook NR, Lee IM, Christen W, Bassuk SS, Mora S, Gibson H, Gordon D, Copeland T, D’Agostino D, Friedenberg G, Ridge C, Bubes V, Giovannucci EL, Willett WC, Buring JE; VITAL Research Group. Vitamin D supplements and prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med 2019 Jan 3; 380(1):33-44.
- Manson JE, Cook NR, Lee IM, Christen W, Bassuk SS, Mora S, Gibson H, Albert CM, Gordon D, Copeland T, D’Agostino D, Friedenberg G, Ridge C, Bubes V, Giovannucci EL, Willett WC, Buring JE; VITAL Research Group. Marine n-3 fatty acids and prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer. N Engl J Med 2019 Jan 3; 380(1):23-32.
- Manson JE, Hsia J, Johnson KC, Rossouw JE, Assaf AR, Lasser NL, et al. Estrogen plus progestin and the risk of coronary heart disease. N Engl J Med 2003; 349:523-534.
- Manson JE, Chlebowski RT, Stefanick ML, Aragaki A, Rossouw JE, Prentice RL, et al. Menopausal hormone therapy and health outcomes during the intervention and extended post-stopping phases of the Women’s Health Initiative randomized trials. JAMA 2013; 310(13):1353-68.
- Manson JE, Greenland P, LaCroix AZ, Stefanick ML, Mouton CP, Oberman A, et al. Walking compared with vigorous exercise for the prevention of cardiovascular events in women. N Engl J Med 2002; 347:716-725.